Sunday, October 27, 2013

Easy Spicy Sausage Pasta

Before I tell you about this recipe, I should note that can't handle much spice at all--so when I say that this recipe was really spicy and I still liked it, it will probably be fine for you.


The beauty of this recipe is that it's easy and you can do it all in one pan. I found it on Pinterest, and it's originally from Amanda at KevinandAmanda.com. She has some great step-by-step pictures to go with her recipe.

What you need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb (or approx) sausage, cut up. I used smoked turkey.
8 oz pasta
I used small shells
1 can ro-tel (the tomatoes with the green chilies in them---I used mild)
2 cups chicken or beef broth (I didn't have quite enough but it was fine)
1/2 cup cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
some diced green onions

Heat up the olive oil in a skillet, then add the onion and the sausage. Brown the sausage, then add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds until the garlic turns white and fragrant.

Add the broth, cream, pasta, salt, pepper. Did you read me say add the pasta? You do not need to precook the pasta! :)

Bring everything to a boil, cover, lower heat, and let simmer for 15 minutes. The liquids should keep the pasta from sticking to your skillet.

Turn off the heat and remove the skillet from the heat. Mix in the cheese and top with the onions. You could also broil the whole thing for few minutes to brown the cheese, but I was too lazy for that step.

Next time I'm going to either switch out the cheese for mozzarella or switch out the ro-tel for regular tomatoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment