Sunday, March 2, 2014

One-Pot Mac & Cheese

I've tried a couple different one-pot mac & cheese recipes, and this one is my favorite so far. A lot of other recipes use powdered or evaporated milk, which I don't usually have on hand. This one just uses milk, which we always have on hand.


What you need:
2 cups elbow noodles
2 1/4 cups skim milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 heaping cup of shredded cheese (I used cheddar)

Steps:
1. Put milk, butter, salt, and noodles into a pan. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring often until milk starts to boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring very often.
3. Once almost all of the milk has been absorbed, test the pasta. Add more milk and keep cooking if the pasta isn't done yet. For whatever reason, I had to add quite a bit more milk. But I didn't measure how much I added...surprise, surprise.
4. Once the pasta is done, add the cheese and stir until melted.

The one-pot method is a little deceiving, because you can easily make mac & cheese using a single pot without boiling the noodles in the milk. Cooking the noodles this way just makes the mac & cheese extra cheesy, though it does take extra time.

Recipe from Bakestravaganza.

0 comments:

Post a Comment