Sunday, October 27, 2013

Copycat Starbucks lemon loaf

I love the lemon bread from Starbucks, but it gives me a stomachache every time I get it (which I continue to do, despite this pattern). I think it's just too sweet for me. So, I decided to make my own, sans frosting. It's still plenty sweet and is great with a cup of morning coffee or tea.



What you need:
1.5 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs at room temperature (let them sit in a glass of lukewarm water for 10 minutes to get them to room temp)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of butter, softened
1 teaspoon of vanilla (a great time for handmade vanilla extract!)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
zest of 1 lemon

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
juice of 1/4 lemon

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flower, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and lemon juice. Use a standing mixer or a hand mixer.
4. Pour the dry ingredients, a little at a time, into the wet ingredients. Blend until smooth.
5. Mix in the oil and lemon zest.
6. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let sit for 3 minutes, then take out of the pan and let cool on a rack.

For the glaze, simply whisk all the ingredients together and pour on top of the bread when the bread is cool.

Recipe adapted from On Sutton Place; photo (c) me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment