Saturday, November 2, 2013

3-Step Handmade Vanilla Extract

I haven't heard any Christmas music yet, but the holiday spirit is definitely upon me. I'm really excited about the gifts I'm making this year, but I don't want to give anything away... so I'll share an easy gift from last year: handmade vanilla extract, in 3 easy steps (and one month of prep time)!

What you need to make vanilla extract

Vanilla beans can cost you $10 or more for just a few of them at your regular grocery store. That's why I recommend buying your vanilla beans in bulk from Amazon. About 50 came in my bag, which ends up to be about $0.70 a bean. You will have enough beans to make two vodka bottles full of extract, but unless you have a lot of people to give to, I suggest just making one bottle and using the rest of the beans for vanilla-infused sugar, creme brulee, homemade ice cream, hot chocolate, and other goodies.



Now, store the vodka + beans in a cool, dark place (like a pantry) for at least 1 month. The longer the beans sit the in the vodka, the stronger the vanilla extract becomes and the darker the liquid will look. Every month, gently turn the bottle upside down a couple times. 


I got these bottles for about $1 each at Michaels. The labels were also from Michaels. They're not the perfect labels because they're a bit too big for the jars, so the edges keep peeling up...make sure to compare your labels to your jars and pick the right size :) Add a piece of vanilla bean to each jar for a special touch. And there you have it--one super easy and practical gift for anyone who likes to bake. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment